25 Oct 2013

20 Grooming Tips I Swear By: Part 2

11. Give yourself regular manicures and pedicures
Or treat yourself to them at the nail salon! Either way, take care of your hands and feet as they take a lot of punishment. Buy a manicure and pedicure set and take some me-time on a Sunday afternoon to pamper yourself. If you love high heels as much as I do, you know how harsh they can be on your feet, so also use a pumice stone daily to keep them soft and smooth. Having well-groomed hands and feet reflect well on a person, so don't skimp on it. Which brings me to the next point.

12. Wear nail polish
I've been wearing nail polish for so long that I almost feel naked without it. I sometimes leave my hands bare just to give them a breather, but my toes are so ugly to me that I simply cannot go without nail polish! I find that my feet look so much better with a splash of wine red or bright pink polish on them. Nail polish on my toes last much longer before I need to redo them, but my fingers only last a week and so I make the best of it and pick a new colour for some variation each time I redo them.

13. Get a haircut at least every second month
If you want hair to look it's best, you have to trim the ends frequently. No magic here, it's plain and simple: dry, split ends just don't look good, so take some time and visit the hair salon. And while you're there...

14. Why not try a new hairstyle or colour?
Freshen up your look by cutting some layers or a fringe. Trying a new colour that's a few shades lighter or darker than your natural tone or even some highlights can drastically improve your appearance too. If you're on a tight budget, however, you might want to skip this tip as changing your hair colour requires ongoing maintenance that can run you a hefty amount each month. Otherwise opt for a semi-permanent colour that will wash out after a few shampoos.

15. Do a deep hair cleanse once a month
Noticed your hair sometimes feels lifeless, dull, dry and virtually impossible to style? Hair gets build-up from using silicone-laden shampoos and conditioners, hair product, styling, hard or soft water and pollution. Make sure to do a deep cleanse to get back your beautiful, bouncy hair again. Here's a natural hair build-up remover recipe I posted a while ago. I still do this weekly, because of the water here, but once a month is fine if your hair isn't exposed to a lot of chemicals.

16. Do a deep hair conditioning treatment once a week.
If you dye, perm, wash or style your hair often, your hair is likely to suffer a lot of damage, so it's really important to do a deep conditioning treatment once a week. There are many different products available: hot oil, hair masks, deep conditioners etc. But in my experience the salon stuff is the best. I put my poor hair through A LOT last year (chemical straightened, dyed monthly, then stripped it at the salon to lighten the black, then dyed it auburn red- yup!) and I was left with very dry hair that tangled very quickly. Needless to say, I'm in the process of growing out my natural colour because my hair deserves a break from 13 years of non-stop dyeing. I've been using the L'Oreal Mythic Oil Masque and can vouch for the fact that this is the number one product that saved my hair from looking like straw. It deeply nourishes my hair and I'm actually able to comb through it while it's wet.

17. Blush and mascara can save any ugly day!
These two are my stuck-on-an-island-what-would-you-take products as they never fail. If there are only two makeup items you are willing to wear, let it be blush and mascara. Both will make you look fresh and youthful in an instant, so if you're a natural kind of girl wanting to try out this makeup thing, go get yourself a pretty light peach colour blush and dark brown mascara and let me know what you think! :)

18. Take some time to practise doing your makeup
The only way you're going to be able to create a perfect face is by practising. I still take some time every now and again to try out a new look and because of this, my makeup style has evolved through the years. In my early twenties I wore much more makeup than I do now. I loved charcoal eyes, smokey eyeliner and bare lips, but in recent years I prefer natural browns, nudes and other neutral tones in my eye shadow palette with some mascara and a tiny bit of brown  liner in the outer corners of my eyes and a slight splash of colour on my lips. It's never to late to start experimenting with makeup and once you become proficient, you'll be good to go in 15 minutes or less!

19. Don't ever tell yourself you're not important enough to make an effort
If you're not happy with the way you look or are one of those ladies who want to look good, but aren't quite sure where to start or constantly making excuses why you can't do it, then this tip is for you. You deserve to look and feel beautiful. If it's what you want, it's your right and privilege to have some me-time to groom each day. So make a change: wake up a little earlier, spend less time in front of the television, get your partner to help out a bit more- do whatever it takes to secure those few extra minutes to take care of yourself. Once you do, you'll notice how you start to feel better about yourself. Everybody deserves to feel this way.


20. Smile often (not just when you apply your blush *wink wink*)
The quickest way to look pretty is by smiling, so smile often and make the world more beautiful!

xo

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing grooming tips! <3

    Please check my new blog if you have time! :)
    www.thewandererspad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...