29 Nov 2013

Review: Tony Moly Appletox Smooth Massage Peeling Cream


The first time I saw Tony Moly's Appletox Peeling Cream, I just knew I had to try it out, but (I must confess) for the completely wrong reasons. I'm such a sucker for cute packaging- and, really, just look at this adorable, bright green apple! Who could possibly resist? Okay, so I was also in search of a nice facial exfoliator to get rid of dry flakes and and brighten up my complexion, but I usually first research products before buying. However, this time my girly side took over and I went onto Gmarket where I purchased the 80g jar for KRW8 800 (they're currently on sale here for KRW6 160).

Before I get into the review, I quickly want to explain why it's important to exfoliate. I mentioned this in the 20 Grooming Tips I swear By post I did a little while ago too. Our skin is constantly shedding and renewing itself, but it needs a little help now and again to completely shed the top layer of dead skin cells. This is where exfoliator comes in. It helps to smooth and brighten up your complexion and allows for better absorption of skin toner and moisturiser. It also helps to create a smooth, well-prepped canvas for applying makeup. 

Now that we have that out of the way, let's look at what the Appletox Peeling Cream, promises and if it delivers.

According to their website, the active ingredients are Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA), Apple and Papaya extract as well as vitamins A, B1 and C and it acts as a 3-in-1 product: massage, moisturise, peeling (exfoliation). They instruct you to massage the product on your freshly cleansed skin for 1-2 minutes and then leave it on for an additional 30 seconds and then rubbing it again before rinsing.


When you follow these steps, you're supposed to feel your dead skin cells coming off, but I haven't experienced this at all. I've read several reviews where people do experience this, and like many, I don't think it's actual skin cells being removed, but rather some ingredient that becomes thick and thus mimicking the appearance of dead skin. I've experienced this thickened texture with Etude House's Bubble Peeling Foam and could definitely recognise that it was not, in fact, my skin, but rather a waxy/rubbery kind of substance that forms when your rub it into your skin. But, as I said, I didn't experience this texture at all, so I'm wondering if they've changed the formula or if the hard water in my apartment prevents this from happening? To me, it pretty much just feels like a thick, decadent lotion. However, because I'm used to having some sort of beads/sugar/salt in my exfoliator, I was kind of expecting to see zero results from this 'glorified lotion', and felt so bummed for buying into the cuteness before getting a second opinion, but (luckily) I was wrong!

 

While the Appletox Peeling Cream didn't actually make my skin 'peel', it did make it feel very soft and incredibly hydrated. I was very impressed. This is also ideal for sensitive skin as you don't run the risk of over-exfoliating your skin (which ends up drying skin and making it peel- the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve!) It's gentle enough to use daily, which is what I do now that winter is here and I need that something extra for my dry skin. It smells lovely too- like freshly sliced green apples.

If you need a rougher texture in your exfoliator or have stubborn comedones (non-inflammatory acne bumps) and very dry skin on your face, then this might not be the best exfoliator for you. Those of you who require only mild exfoliation will more than likely be happy with this product. I think it is well-suited for any skin type (it certainly didn't affect my somewhat sensitive, acne-prone skin negatively at all.) It's a decent product that provides quick, impressive results, so it will definitely be going onto my re-purchase list!


xo





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...