1 Feb 2014

Review: Bourjois Healthy Mix Radiance Reveal Foundation in 52 'Vanilla'


I often see Bourjois foundations in the makeup tutorials I watch online and decided to try the popular Healthy Mix Foundation, which has recently been reformulated to provide more radiance. Since I've never tried the original formula, I can't comment on the differences, but as far as packaging goes, the new version comes in a glass bottle while the original came in a plastic bottle.

The new formula promises to give skin a radiance boost and leave it looking flawless for up to 16 hours. According to the Bourjois website, it is enriched with a fruit therapy formula to enhance your complexion and contains apricot, melon and apple for radiance, hydration and to protect your youth (Protect my youth?? Um, okay- that's one way of putting it!). It is also enriched with crystalline pigments for evening out the complexion while letting in natural light for a healthy looking glow.

I  purchased the 30ml bottle online at Gmarket for KRW35 000. It comes with a pump dispenser for easy, hygienic dispensing and I use about two pumps per application. There are eight shades to choose from and I chose 52 'Vanilla' which looked like the best match from the available shades, however still a bit on the yellow side (perhaps 51 Light Vanilla would have been better?). My skin tone is neutral, meaning I have both warm and cool undertones, so I could still manage to make it work for me, but I think this shade is better suited to those with warm undertones. It has no SPF, so remember to apply some beforehand.


This foundation has a lovely fruity smell which disappears quickly after application and the liquid consistency is really great and feels super lightweight on my skin. It can be applied with your fingers, a makeup sponge or any type of foundation brush and provides medium buildable coverage. It doesn't cover dark circles or blemishes, but does even out skin tone. I would however recommend using a good primer with this foundation as it doesn't cover up visible pores very well.

The initial finish is dewy and really lovely, but after an hour's wear, my problems with it start. Firstly, this foundation oxidises on my skin- a huge turnoff! For those who don't know what oxidation is, simply put: It's when your foundation turns a darker or orange colour because of the reaction between specific ingredients in your foundation and the natural oils on your skin. My second problem is the fact that (wait for it) it exacerbates the oiliness and dries my t-zone out at the same time! I've used this foundation in both warmer (and now) colder months and I've found that in winter time when my skin is pretty dry all over, it tends to accentuate any flakiness I might have around my nose and cheeks. I tried using different moisturisers, primers, setting powders and blending techniques, but none helped me counteract the problems I was facing with this foundation.
What a disappointment!


I really wanted this foundation to work for me and had really high hopes for it, but alas, we weren't meant to be. While it applies wonderfully and feels great initially, I just can't get over the awful reaction it has with my skin. I think this is one of those foundations best suited to those with normal skin and warm undertones. I guess I'll just have to keep on looking for The One... wish me luck!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...