2 Mar 2014

Review: MAC Strobe Cream


I've wanted to try MAC Strobe Cream for the longest time, but always held back because of the hefty price tag (KRW46 000 for 50ml), but since it's been winter here in Korea and my poor skin has been super dry and dull-looking, I convinced myself (not that it took much convincing) that I needed this product and so headed to my local department store to pick up a tube.

 
What it promises:
The ultimate quick fix for the skin. Super-powered with potent botanicals; de-snoozes, de-stresses, moistens, freshens and boosts the look of dull, flat or tired-looking skin with a fully loaded vitamin zap and a mega dose of green tea. Brightens and clarifies with iridescent particles and antioxidants. Enhances the effects of light on all skin and in all lighting conditions from sunlight to spotlight.

 
Packaging:
I like the simple and elegant packaging: pearly white plastic tube with a black screw cap that is squeezed to dispense the product. However, it's not always practical as it's impossible to tell how much product you have left. Also, the cap is made of a velvety rubber plastic which is prone to staining of you touch it with oily or makeup-covered fingers and it takes more than a quick wipe down to clean it again. 



Texture & Scent:
The product is virtually scentless and has a light creamy texture and the most beautiful pearlescent colour I've ever seen in a lotion. Yes, this is a skin care product, even though it is famous for its highlighting and illuminating properties. It absorbs quickly and doesn't leave a greasy layer on my skin.


My thoughts:
Because I had such high hopes for the MAC Strobe Cream, I felt extra disappointed when it didn't live up to all of its claims or my expectations. While it does brighten up my skin, the effects are only visible for a short period, provided I don't apply makeup. As soon as my BB cream or foundation goes on, the effects disappear. I've tried mixing it with my foundation, to no avail. I also find that it clogs my pores and I end up with closed comedones (non-inflamed bumps) on my forehead, but it doesn't cause inflamed blemishes. It's also not very moisturising in winter weather as I need to supplement it with my usual day moisturiser. 

I think this product is good for those no-fuss days where you simply wear some mascara and blush and a bit of lip gloss and simply use it to brighten up your complexion. I also think it's one of those products better suited to those lucky ladies with balanced skin types. Ultimately, what you're getting simply doesn't justify the price you're paying. I'd much rather go for more affordable products, like the L'Oreal Lumi Magique Primer or the very popular (in no small part due to it's efficacy) Banila Co it Radiant CC cream, which I'll be reviewing soon- yay!
xo



2 comments:

  1. I heard the Dior glow maximiser primer is supposed to be good but it's more than twice as expensive in Korea compared to the UK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried that one before, but also must admit that I'm hesitant to purchase high-end products while in Korea as there are so many wonderful dupes here that cost less than a quarter of the price :) I wish I lived in the UK though, the products there are so much cheaper than here and in my home country, South Africa! xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...